Tuesday, April 17, 2007

HoldingOn (from 08/27/06)

I just spent ten weeks swirling in a storm that had no eye. I just checked the calendar. Ten weeks. I was guessing around five, as the events I experienced seemingly came free from the skeleton we call time, and, lacking structure, fluctuated however they saw fit, rarely if ever predictable.

I was the disgruntled dog owner in denial of his shortcomings; my life was the mutt that decided to take his owner for a "walk," dragging me across pavement and through fields, colliding me with people on the street. But I never expected it to teach me any of this.

I knew I was being taught lots of things. When someone has heard God on your behalf and says, "Get ready for a wonderful ride!" you know you're in for it. I couldn't deny that there were intense spiritual things going on in me, continental shifts causing earthquakes deep inside, as I watched my life wrestled from my own hands.

I learned how far I can be pushed.
I became a man.
I learned to love (and trust).

You'll find, in walking a pet, that it doesn't ever bolt off just to be perturbing; rather, it sees something it wants, or is frightened by a noise, and reacts. I am convinced that God was this catalyst, that He was the one who drove the mutt to near lunacy, that He is largely responsible for the fatigue and pain I have felt. But I love Him for it.

I now know what it means to surrender control, even if I'm still working on that, and I probably will until I die. Hopefully it will get easier, though. I know what it means to hold on when things are tough. And I can relax. At least a little bit, which is a lot to say for a man as intense as myself.

3 comments:

brian jensen said...

im letting you know that im excited about june 9th. your work better not disappoint

JenniferKent said...

thanks for sharing, jacob. what a life we live, and what a God we serve! I'm looking forward to your artwork to come!

Chelsea Joy said...

im telling you. and apologizing to you. Reading this made me realize how much of a "man" you have become. In my mind you have always been 18 year old Jake who drove me insane...at times being the great brother that you are. im sorry for not letting you grow up in my mind. It hard to realize your siblings grow up. (and im younger than you which makes this so weird) But go get 'em bro, God's got you in his hands, and thats the best place to be.